ABOUT GOODWEAVE UK
In May 2001, RUGMARK UK was formally registered in the United Kingdom as a nonprofit company, with a board drawn from the carpet industry and a variety of non-governmental organisations. A valid license agreement was drawn up, and soon thereafter work with carpet retailers, importers, and consumers commenced alongside more general work on issues having to do with ethical trading, social labelling and corporate social responsibility. RUGMARK UK officially changed its name to GoodWeave UK in 2010.
As a charity, GoodWeave UK’s goals are to relieve poverty, suffering, and distress—wherever these may occur throughout the world—by promoting research into and education about their root causes and aggregate effects. A special emphasis is placed on poverty in relation to the conduct of business, and to the conditions of employment (including self-employment) of poor people around the globe.
Additionally, GoodWeave UK functions as the United Kingdom’s regional office for GoodWeave International. This non-governmental organisation with offices in South Asia, Europe, and the United States is dedicated to helping children and strengthening worker communities by:
- eradicating child labour in the carpet industry and other industries;
- raising public awareness of child labour and other exploitative labor practices;
- expanding the market for exploitation-free products, especially through the administering of the GoodWeave label on products certifying that they have been made without the aid of child labour, forced labour, or bonded labour;
- providing children in vulnerable worker communities with concrete opportunities for education and vocational training;
- stimulating and increasing employment opportunities for adults, so that parents can better support their families;
- facilitating development programmes to improve the terms and conditions of employment for adult workers in the carpet industry and other industries, consistent with internationally recognised labour and environmental standards.
GoodWeave UK, a member of GoodWeave International, is a registered charity and company in the United Kingdom, limited by guarantee. Charity Registration number: 1139218. Company registration number: 4210546.